‘Our thoughts are with those affected by the terrible collision and Safe38 will continue to work to make the A38 a safer road for all.’
Safe A38 19/4/2021
Safe38 is a committee formed in 2018 seeking to see the A38 become a safer road for all. As a committee of volunteers Safe38 embraces a targeted integrated approach to road safety incorporating education, enforcement, engagement and engineering all underpinned by evidence.
We campaign for a safe A38 trunk road and future expressway, in order that road safety is improved. We hope to enable the economy of Cornwall and the wider South West to thrive through the provision of a high-quality road and to work to provide a safe environment for residents living alongside the route.
The objectives of the Organisation are:
1. To demand improvements to the existing road in the short-term.
2. To campaign for the delivery of a high quality A38 in Cornwall.
3. To reflect the interests of local communities throughout the possible road improvement areas ensuring that the A38 trunk road is made safer and ‘fit for purpose’.
4. To represent the views and interests of the Organisation regarding the A38 trunk road to national government, local elected councils, Highways England and other interested bodies.
5. To raise awareness of the health issues associated with poor air quality and to campaign for actions to tackle air pollution particularly in areas already designated as Air Quality Management Areas.
6. To assist in the improvement of communication in the widest sense with relation to the A38 trunk road and its upgrade to expressway standard throughout its length within Cornwall.
Some of the problems with the existing road:
- Tideford air pollution hotspot
- Community severance
- Low bridge causing HGV diversion
- Unsafe road design
- At-grade junctions on dual carriageway
- Over capacity
- Delays causing waste of time and money